1/19/11

Review: Countdown To Lockdown by Mick Foley

I just finished reading Coundown To Lockdown by Mick Foley. I don't know what to say about this book other then , I'm astonished at how good of a writer he is. It takes a special type of writer to not only get you to care about what your reading about, and what the writer cares about as well. Mick Foley has done that in this book. Not only does he write about Wrestling, more specifically the end of his tenure in WWE and current run in TNA, but he also talks about the passions he has outside of wrestling. He devotes whole chapters to his love of Tori Amos and how her music inspires him. Which is the same for almost everyone. We all have music or songs that he attach to special moments in our lives.
Another chapter that was of great interest to me is when he spoke about substance abuse. Not only did he talk about substance about in Wrestling , but he spoke great length of substance abuse in Baseball. Mick Foley didn't just speak about his opinion, he brought up facts and figures which really surprised me because I didn't think he had that wealth of knowledge or even cared about the subject.
Finally , When he spoke about Sierra Leone and his visit 2 years ago, I was touched because you don't hear of any type of athlete going over seas to help in third world countries. In fact the last chapter of the book, he tells the reader that he donated 50% of his royalies to develope a school in Sierra Leone. The Check was close to $50,000.
I'm a fan of wrestling , I'm a fan of the business. I'm more of a fan when I see or read something that potrays the business in the positive light. This book is just that. It's not only an enjoyable read if your looking for a wrestling fix, but it's also a great read if you want to know Mick Foley's thoughts on other things besides wrestling.
The format is which he wrote the book was quite unique as well. On chapters that didn't describe preperation for Lockdown (Or "Countdown To Lockdown" chapters) there is a "Wrestlemeter" at the top. Which is a scale 0-10 , with the higher the number the more wrestling content.
I overall really enjoyed this book. I have always enjoyed Mick Foley's writing. I strongly recommend this book, even for someone who is the casual wrestling observer.

Just for Arguments Sake here are how I rank Mick Foley's 4 Biographies.
1. Have A Nice Day.
2. Foley Is God
3. Countdown To Lockdown
4. Hardcore Diaries

No comments:

Post a Comment